NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - The head chef at a popular Craven County restaurant is competing to win the title of "Best Chef in North Carolina."
Gerry Fong is the head chef at Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant in New Bern.
This weekend, Fong will go to Raleigh to compete against four other chefs from around the state in the "Competition Dining" finals. During the event, the chefs will be given a surprise ingredient to be used in three different dishes.
"We walk in and there's a surprise and we don't know what we're cooking. We have no idea what our menu will be like or anything," Fong explained. It's just think-on-your-feet and roll with it until 7 o'clock, and then it's plate up and wipe the sweat off and see how we did."
Audience members will then vote for their favorite dish.
The final event will be on Saturday. Tickets for the event have been sold out.
For more information, visit www.competitiondining.com.
- Updated How Syrian activists use WhatsApp to tell the world their stories
- Investigators: MH17 shot down by Buk missile brought in from Russia
- Billionaire: Chinese real estate is 'biggest bubble in history'
- Controversial 3-parent baby technique produces a boy
- Government workers banned from entering NC due to House Bill 2