NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - The head chef at a popular Craven County restaurant is competing to win the title of "Best Chef in North Carolina."
Gerry Fong is the head chef at Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant in New Bern.
This weekend, Fong will go to Raleigh to compete against four other chefs from around the state in the "Competition Dining" finals. During the event, the chefs will be given a surprise ingredient to be used in three different dishes.
"We walk in and there's a surprise and we don't know what we're cooking. We have no idea what our menu will be like or anything," Fong explained. It's just think-on-your-feet and roll with it until 7 o'clock, and then it's plate up and wipe the sweat off and see how we did."
Audience members will then vote for their favorite dish.
The final event will be on Saturday. Tickets for the event have been sold out.
For more information, visit www.competitiondining.com.
- Updated Before his coma he spoke English; after waking up he's fluent in Spanish
- Auburn to honor Barkley with statue
- Pope opens private summer residence to visitors
- Governor tours Princeville, visits Rocky Mount Disaster Recovery Center
- Former President Bill Clinton taking bus tour through Greenville