NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - The head chef at a popular Craven County restaurant is competing to win the title of "Best Chef in North Carolina."
Gerry Fong is the head chef at Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant in New Bern.
This weekend, Fong will go to Raleigh to compete against four other chefs from around the state in the "Competition Dining" finals. During the event, the chefs will be given a surprise ingredient to be used in three different dishes.
"We walk in and there's a surprise and we don't know what we're cooking. We have no idea what our menu will be like or anything," Fong explained. It's just think-on-your-feet and roll with it until 7 o'clock, and then it's plate up and wipe the sweat off and see how we did."
Audience members will then vote for their favorite dish.
The final event will be on Saturday. Tickets for the event have been sold out.
For more information, visit www.competitiondining.com.
- Updated Southwest pilots reach tentative deal with airline after 4 years of talks
- Updated NC DOT's Ferry Division prepares for tropical system
- Updated Tropical storm warning, small craft advisory issued for Carteret County
- Updated Hershey crashes 11% after chocolate merger talks end
- Updated Chicago, aka 'Chi-raq' likely to top 2015 in number of shootings