RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - The three nuclear power plants in North Carolina have each reported at least 90 safety violations since 2000.
The Government Accountability Office report obtained by The Associated Press shows that the McGuire plant near Charlotte reported 119 lower--level violations and one higher-level violation from 2000 to 2012. The Brunswick plant near Wilmington reported 93 lower-level violations and five high-level violations, while the Harris plant near Raleigh had 90 lower-level violations and four higher-level violations.
Lower-level violations pose very low risk, such as improper upkeep of a transformer, while higher-level violations range in significance, such as an electrical system that caused a fire.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report before its release.
- Michelle Obama fires up North Carolina crowd for Hillary Clinton
- Updated Kids get swine flu from pigs at state fairs, CDC reports
- Updated Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew
- Updated Dems can't get enough of FLOTUS -- and Clinton knows it
- Updated Haley 'not a fan' but will vote for Trump