The North Carolina Department of Transportation's Ferry Division's Pamlico Sound routes are phasing out extra runs added post Hurricane Sandy and are returning to their normal winter schedules.
The extra departures added to the Swan Quarter-Ocracoke route to accommodate weekend and holiday travelers will be eliminated this weekend to reduce costs.
The state ferry division will restart these ferries if more travelers demand them.
The Swan Quarter-Ocracoke winter schedule will have ferries departing from Swan Quarter at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Then departing from Ocracoke at 7 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
The Cedar Island-Ocracoke route will return to its normal winter schedule Tuesday, December 4.
That schedule has ferries departing from Cedar Island at 7 and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Then from Ocracoke at 7:30 a.m., 1 and 4 p.m.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew