NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Primary roads are clear, but secondary roads still have snow as of Thursday morning. This could create dangerous driving conditions, according to Gordy Eure, maintenance engineer for the Department of Transportation in Craven and Pamlico counties.
"The secondary roads are still very icy. That's where everybody lives. Nobody lives on the primary roads of U.S. 70. They live on the secondary roads which are seeing a lot of ice," Eure said.
Officials said most of the snow on the primary roads is gone, but that there is a thick layer of ice present.
Eure recommended people to stay home if possible Thursday. He said if people needed to travel somewhere to drive slow and under the speed limit.
DOT officials said they were meeting Thursday morning to determine whether to start working on clearing out secondary roads.
- New Campaign manager points to 'undercover Trump vote' in polling gap
- Updated Maternal deaths down globally, up in US
- Updated Flight delayed over bizarre crew member tiff
- Updated Family Dollar store robbed at gunpoint, suspect on the loose
- Updated Closest potentially habitable planet to our solar system found