NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Primary roads are clear, but secondary roads still have snow as of Thursday morning. This could create dangerous driving conditions, according to Gordy Eure, maintenance engineer for the Department of Transportation in Craven and Pamlico counties.
"The secondary roads are still very icy. That's where everybody lives. Nobody lives on the primary roads of U.S. 70. They live on the secondary roads which are seeing a lot of ice," Eure said.
Officials said most of the snow on the primary roads is gone, but that there is a thick layer of ice present.
Eure recommended people to stay home if possible Thursday. He said if people needed to travel somewhere to drive slow and under the speed limit.
DOT officials said they were meeting Thursday morning to determine whether to start working on clearing out secondary roads.
- Election law doesn't care if Trump (or Clinton) ever concede
- Obama admits to laughing at Trump during debates
- How the GOP's first female presidential campaign manager manages Donald Trump
- Trump campaign launches nightly 'newscast' on Facebook
- More than 20 killed in attack on Pakistani police academy