WILMINGTON, N.C. - Authorities say a Pender County teacher drowned while paddleboarding near the Intracoastal Waterway.
The Pender County Sheriff's Office says deputies found Amanda Perkins was reported missing early Thursday when she did not come home from paddleboarding in a creek near Hampstead. A neighbor with a boat helped deputies search for Perkins, and they found her body in the water.
An autopsy determined she drowned.
Perkins was a teacher at Topsail Middle School in Hampstead.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
- New Rusted Root to headline stage at 11th annual PirateFest
- Updated Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures
- Updated Trump rally: CEOs of Dow companies make $400 million
- Updated Tryon Palace director no longer serving position