WILMINGTON, N.C. - Authorities say a Pender County teacher drowned while paddleboarding near the Intracoastal Waterway.
The Pender County Sheriff's Office says deputies found Amanda Perkins was reported missing early Thursday when she did not come home from paddleboarding in a creek near Hampstead. A neighbor with a boat helped deputies search for Perkins, and they found her body in the water.
An autopsy determined she drowned.
Perkins was a teacher at Topsail Middle School in Hampstead.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- New labels warn against mixing opioids, benzodiazepines
- Mark Zuckerberg's visit gives Nigerian startups much-needed boost
- Infantry training building aboard Camp Geiger named for fallen Marine
- Lara Trump visits Eastern North Carolina to support father-in-law