SALEMBERG - Investigators said a North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper hit and killed an 80-year-old man as he crossed the street.
The Sampson Independent reported Trooper Emory Brown had been placed on administrative leave.
Trooper Brown was driving his patrol vehicle when he hit and killed Otis Parker, 80, Tuesday night on Highway 242 in Salemberg in Sampson County, investigators said.
Authorities said Parker was crossing the road when he was hit.
The Highway Patrol said it could take several weeks before more details are released.
- Updated Make-A-Wish Eastern N.C. grants Onslow County child's wish
- Updated Tesla posts rare profit, stock pops 6%
- Updated Clinton camp wants donors to give resources to Senate majority
- Updated World Series scores biggest Game 1 ratings since 2009
- Updated Trump mixes business and politics with opening of new hotel