SALEMBERG - Investigators said a North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper hit and killed an 80-year-old man as he crossed the street.
The Sampson Independent reported Trooper Emory Brown had been placed on administrative leave.
Trooper Brown was driving his patrol vehicle when he hit and killed Otis Parker, 80, Tuesday night on Highway 242 in Salemberg in Sampson County, investigators said.
Authorities said Parker was crossing the road when he was hit.
The Highway Patrol said it could take several weeks before more details are released.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Italy earthquake: Amid the rubble, a couple says 'I do'
- Updated Donald Trump: Mika must apologize for 'gang attack' on Pastor Mark Burns