SALEMBERG - Investigators said a North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper hit and killed an 80-year-old man as he crossed the street.
The Sampson Independent reported Trooper Emory Brown had been placed on administrative leave.
Trooper Brown was driving his patrol vehicle when he hit and killed Otis Parker, 80, Tuesday night on Highway 242 in Salemberg in Sampson County, investigators said.
Authorities said Parker was crossing the road when he was hit.
The Highway Patrol said it could take several weeks before more details are released.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County