HERTFORD, N.C. - (AP) - A Republican state House candidate is scheduled to appear in court in November on a charge of assaulting the campaign manager of his Democratic opponent.
A misdemeanor criminal summons was issued last week for 64-year-old Bob Steinburg of Edenton, who is charged with simple physical assault of Russell Haddad, campaign manager for Democratic state House candidate Bill Luton.
The summons says Steinburg grabbed Haddad on the back of the neck as he tried to take a camera away from Haddad.
Steinburg says Haddad was trying to record a conversation between the two candidates after a campaign event Thursday in Hertford. He says he tried to cover up the camera with his hand and then tried to push it away.
Steinburg is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 14.
- New BREAKING NEWS: Man stabbed by girlfriend in New Bern
- Updated Blast near Bogota bullring injures 31, many of them police, reports say
- Updated Limbaugh on the news media: 'They're enemies of Trump'
- State high school basketball playoff pairings released
- Police search for suspect in deaths of Indiana teens who vanished on hike