FORT BRAGG - A jury at Fort Bragg has found an 82nd Airborne Division lieutenant guilty of two counts of murder in connection with a series of shootings in Afghanistan.
1st Lt. Clint Lorance was found guilty by the jury Thursday. He was found not guilty of making a false official statement. The sentence phase of the court martial began immediately after the verdict was handed down.
Prosecutors said Lorance ordered his men to open fire immediately in violation of the military's rules of engagement, which requires soldiers to hold fire unless they have evidence of hostile action or hostile intent. They said three men on a motorcycle approached the patrol in July 2012. Two were killed and the third ran away.
Attorneys for Lorance said he was trying to protect his unit.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- New Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend