CLEVELAND COUNTY - Authorities in Cleveland County say a 17-month-old child is in the hospital after being shot by a 3-year-old sibling.
A statement from the sheriff's office said deputies received a 911 call regarding a shooting around noon Thursday.
According to investigators, the 17-month-old was shot with a .9-millimeter handgun which belonged to the children's father.
Sheriff's Capt. Joel Shores told The Star of Shelby that when first responders arrived, the mother had already taken the child to Cleveland Regional Medical Center. The child has since been taken to Carolinas Medical Center.
Shores said investigators are compiling information to present to the district attorney to determine if any charges should be filed.
- New Rousseff's impeachment trial opens in Brazil
- Updated Navy surprises ailing WWII veteran at his home
- Updated Here's what happened to AIDS drug that spiked 5,000%
- Accused Pitt Co. murder suspect officially charged with murder of three children
- Greenville Fire & Rescue classifies overnight fire as intentional