CLEVELAND COUNTY - Authorities in Cleveland County say a 17-month-old child is in the hospital after being shot by a 3-year-old sibling.
A statement from the sheriff's office said deputies received a 911 call regarding a shooting around noon Thursday.
According to investigators, the 17-month-old was shot with a .9-millimeter handgun which belonged to the children's father.
Sheriff's Capt. Joel Shores told The Star of Shelby that when first responders arrived, the mother had already taken the child to Cleveland Regional Medical Center. The child has since been taken to Carolinas Medical Center.
Shores said investigators are compiling information to present to the district attorney to determine if any charges should be filed.
- Updated Defenseless internet 'paying the price' for ignoring security
- Updated Trump: I'd 'love' to fight Biden
- Updated Trump campaign manager: We are vetting people for Trump's cabinet
- Updated Posting ballot selfies: Personal choice or illegal act?
- Trayvon Martin unmentioned as Trump talks of blacks getting shot in the city he died in