RALEIGH - (AP) - Schools and government buildings in North Carolina are holding tornado drills as part of Severe Weather Awareness Week.
The drills are scheduled for Wednesday morning.
In 2012, the National Weather Service issued 60 tornado warnings for North Carolina and confirmed 21 tornadoes that injured 22 people. The tornadoes caused more than $19 million in damages.
The months of March, May and November are the deadliest months for tornadoes in the state.
A tornado watch means a tornado is possible, while a warning means a tornado has been spotted.
- Canadian nurse accused of killing 8 nursing home residents
- Updated Seattle's drive for an NBA team got an assist
- Updated Neera Tanden on Clinton email server: 'They wanted to get away with it'
- Updated Arizona sheriff charged with criminal contempt
- Here's how peanut butter snacks may save endangered ferrets