RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - State Rep. Jim Fulghum has died, weeks after announcing he was being treated for cancer.
Molly Fulghum Heintz says her father died at his Raleigh home on Saturday evening. He was 70 years old.
Heintz says her father was diagnosed in June with esophageal cancer. Earlier this month, he wrote the state and Wake County election boards to pull out of the election for the 15th Senate District seat, citing ongoing treatment.
Last week, Republican Party officials selected John M. Alexander Jr. to replace Fulghum in the race for the seat of Sen. Neal Hunt, who is retiring.
Heintz says funeral services will be held Wednesday at Edenton Street United Methodist in Raleigh. A visitation is planned for the evening before at the church, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Clinton, Trump hours away from historic debate battle
- Updated Reid signals possible solution to funding stalemate
- Updated Stein escorted off Hofstra University campus
- Bridgegate: Port Authority officials planned to make Fort Lee 'traffic jam as bad as possible'
- Updated Miami Marlins to honor star pitcher Jose Fernandez