RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - State Rep. Jim Fulghum has died, weeks after announcing he was being treated for cancer.
Molly Fulghum Heintz says her father died at his Raleigh home on Saturday evening. He was 70 years old.
Heintz says her father was diagnosed in June with esophageal cancer. Earlier this month, he wrote the state and Wake County election boards to pull out of the election for the 15th Senate District seat, citing ongoing treatment.
Last week, Republican Party officials selected John M. Alexander Jr. to replace Fulghum in the race for the seat of Sen. Neal Hunt, who is retiring.
Heintz says funeral services will be held Wednesday at Edenton Street United Methodist in Raleigh. A visitation is planned for the evening before at the church, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Stranded mariners saved after writing 'SOS' in the sand
- Yellowstone National Park worker falls to death
- Trump's immigration pivot a buzz kill for Coulter's book tour
- Recovering heroin addict thanks officer who arrested her