WASHINGTON - A former North Carolina probation officer is facing time in prison after he was convicted for coercing a female probationer into having sex with him.
The U.S. Attorney's office announced Friday that 43-year-old Willie James Steele Jr. was sentenced to the maximum 24 months in prison, followed by one year of supervised release.
Prosecutors say Steele supervised the female probationer in 2008 after her probation was transferred to North Carolina from another state. The prosecutors said Steele violated the woman's rights by having non-consensual sex with the woman during two separate probation meetings.
Steele was found guilty last December.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend