LATTIMORE, CLEVELAND COUNTY - Authorities in a small North Carolina community are trying to determine who planted an explosive device concealed inside a teddy bear.
Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman says a newspaper carrier saw the teddy bear Thursday in the middle of a road near Lattimore, a tiny rural town about 50 miles west of Charlotte.
The man picked up the bear, and a small glass container with liquid inside and wires protruding from it fell out. The man took the device home with him and later called 911 after it began emitting smoke.
The device was defused by a bomb squad from nearby Gastonia. Federal investigators are inspecting the device, looking for clues as to who made it.
Another device was discovered in the same area six months ago.
- Updated How Syrian activists use WhatsApp to tell the world their stories
- Investigators: MH17 shot down by Buk missile brought in from Russia
- Billionaire: Chinese real estate is 'biggest bubble in history'
- Controversial 3-parent baby technique produces a boy
- Government workers banned from entering NC due to House Bill 2