CARY, North Carolina - CARY, N.C. (AP) - A 17-year-old North Carolina boy has been charged with killing his mother after an investigation that stretched more than a year.
A Town of Cary news release says Arnav Uppalapati was arrested Thursday night and charged with murder in the death of his mother. Authorities say he has been charged as an adult. The charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
Emergency personnel recovered Nalini Tellaprolu's body from the garage of her home on Dec. 17, 2015. Arnav Uppalapati had called 911 to say he found her there.
The News & Observer reports the 51-year-old mother of two worked at Duke Medical Center. An autopsy report showed that Tellaprolu was strangled and left in her car.
- USO of Jacksonville needs your help to feed service members this Thanksgiving
- Updated Greenville Police officer arrested, charged with misdemeanor larceny
- Fatal crash involving multiple cars being investigated by police
- Silver Alert issued for missing local man
- New Five more arrested in round two of Onslow Co. Sheriff's Office drug operation