ALAMANCE COUNTY - Authorities say a pregnant woman on her way to the hospital died in a wreck in Alamance County, but her baby survived.
The N.C. Highway Patrol says 22-year-olds Brian Casey Riggans and Megan Riggans were driving Sunday night when their Jeep Cherokee hydroplaned and hit a tree. The patrol said Megan Riggans was in labor and the couple was on their way to UNC Hospitals.
Megan Riggans was transported to Alamance Regional Medical Center. Emergency personnel kept her heart beating until her son was born. The infant was transferred to UNC Hospitals, where doctors weren't sure of the extent of the infant's injuries due to lack of oxygen during the emergency.
Brian Riggans was taken to UNC Hospitals with face and back injuries.
The Riggans were married in April.
- Updated China: Japanese military jets using 'dangerous' tactics
- Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast