FAYETTEVILLE, CUMBERLAND COUNTY - Authorities say a North Carolina man beat his handicapped grandfather after an argument over $5.
The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office says in a news release that 18-year-old Michael Allen Jackson was angered when his grandfather refused to give him the money.
Authorities say 63-year-old Glenn Maynor was punched in the face and chest several times. He was knocked down and hit his head on a concrete floor.
According to the sheriff's office, Maynor was left bleeding Friday from his left eye, nose and mouth and had a severely swollen left eye.
Jackson is in the Cumberland County jail under $100,000 bond. He is charged with felony assault on a handicapped person. He made his first court appearance Monday, and jail records didn't show whether he has an attorney.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County