WINSTON-SALEM - State Rep. Larry Womble says he's glad that evidence helped clear him of charges stemming from a car crash in which a motorist was killed.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports ) that Womble made his first public appearance since the N.C. Attorney General's Office dismissed a charge of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle. Additional evidence showed that Carmichael's car crossed the centerline on Dec. 2, 2011, and collided with Womble's car. Carmichael's blood-alcohol level was 0.29, more than three times the legal limit.
Womble said nearly every bone in his body was broken and he can no longer see out of his left eye, but his doctors say he is progressing well.
While not ruling out another run for public office, Womble said his focus right now is on his recovery.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend