HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. - A Hendersonville man is in jail after authorities say his 10-month-old daughter was found with severe injuries.
The Henderson County Sheriff's Office said 24-year-old Michael Laviell Thompson is being held in the county detention center under $80,000 bond on a charge of felony child abuse intentionally inflicting serious bodily injury. He surrendered to authorities on Thursday, and it's not known if he has an attorney.
The sheriff's office said a deputy was conducting a traffic stop on Aug. 23 when a vehicle approached him and stopped in the road. Officials said the deputy heard a woman screaming about an infant being hurt and needing an ambulance. The officer called emergency personnel because the infant's injuries looked severe.
Authorities say the infant is in Mission Hospital in critical but stable condition.
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport