HATTERAS, DARE COUNTY - The N.C. Department of Transportation's Ferry Division is conducting security exercises involving ferry terminals and vessels on the Currituck-Knotts Island route.
The exercises are scheduled for Wednesday.
Officials stress that the exercise is not in response to any threat to the ferry vessels, terminals or any other transportation site or facility. They say it's designed to aid in assessing and enhancing security measures for the North Carolina Ferry System.
Similar drills have taken place within the Ferry Division over the last several years, including one in July on the Hatteras and Ocracoke routes.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Trump spreads claim that Clinton's 'mentor' was 'KKK member'
- Updated ISIS video shows boys executing prisoners
- Nate Parker on 'toxic masculinity,' consent and 'male privilege'