HATTERAS, DARE COUNTY - The N.C. Department of Transportation's Ferry Division is conducting security exercises involving ferry terminals and vessels on the Currituck-Knotts Island route.
The exercises are scheduled for Wednesday.
Officials stress that the exercise is not in response to any threat to the ferry vessels, terminals or any other transportation site or facility. They say it's designed to aid in assessing and enhancing security measures for the North Carolina Ferry System.
Similar drills have taken place within the Ferry Division over the last several years, including one in July on the Hatteras and Ocracoke routes.
- Updated 'Pizzagate' shooting suspect pleads guilty
- Updated NFL seeking Thursday Night Football livestream partner
- Updated Extra security added to several Onslow County schools after alleged threat posted to social media
- Updated Investors yank $8.9 billion from US stocks
- Missing Tennessee student: School chief appeals for girl's safe return