DURHAM - A newly formed group of faculty and graduate students from several North Carolina universities is speaking out about new laws that the members believe will harm the state for years to come.
The group will meet Thursday at the Sanford School of Public Policy at Duke University. Its members are from Duke University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N.C. State University, N.C. Central University, UNC Greensboro, and several other colleges and universities.
The members say the GOP-majority Legislature has already passed laws and has others planned that will impede economic recovery, restrict democracy and undercut reforms that promoted the common good.
UNC-Chapel Hill professor Hodding Carter III says participants will outline a better course for the state.
- Updated Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday
- Zip line fall leaves Delaware woman dead
- Crews battle fire in unoccupied Greenville apartment
- Updated Clinton: Trump leading 'hate movement'; Trump: Clinton a 'bigot'