RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - The North Carolina Department of Transportation is putting its Sikorsky S-76 helicopter for sale on an eBay.
Gov. Pat McCrory said in a news release Friday that the state is selling the helicopter because of its high operation and maintenance costs and low usage. Proceeds will go to the state's general fund.
He says it cost $265,000 to operate and maintain in fiscal year 2013, when it was flown for just over 14 hours. Its highest cost and usage came in 2007, when it was flown for 112 hours at a cost of $585,000.
State agencies used the helicopter to survey disaster recovery efforts and for economic development activities.
The Transportation Department also has two twin turbo-prop passenger aircraft and a Cessna Citation Bravo Jet in its fleet.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend