KERNERSVILLE - The police chief in Kernersville has been charged after his patrol car hit two handcuffed suspects sitting beside a road earlier this year.
The Winston-Salem Journal reported that Police Chief Ken Gamble was charged Tuesday with failure to slow down to avoid a collision.
Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O'Neill said police officers have an obligation to obey traffic laws once a chase is over.
Town Manager Curtis Swisher said Gamble would not contest the charge. Swisher said Gamble will have to complete a precision driving course.
Gamble had responded to a call for assistance on July 15 but the two suspects had been arrested by the time he arrived. Gamble was driving about 20 mph when the suspects were hit.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend