KERNERSVILLE - The police chief in Kernersville has been charged after his patrol car hit two handcuffed suspects sitting beside a road earlier this year.
The Winston-Salem Journal reported that Police Chief Ken Gamble was charged Tuesday with failure to slow down to avoid a collision.
Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O'Neill said police officers have an obligation to obey traffic laws once a chase is over.
Town Manager Curtis Swisher said Gamble would not contest the charge. Swisher said Gamble will have to complete a precision driving course.
Gamble had responded to a call for assistance on July 15 but the two suspects had been arrested by the time he arrived. Gamble was driving about 20 mph when the suspects were hit.
- Updated Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- Updated WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast
- Ill. GOP candidate questions veteran's family history