TRENTON, JONES COUNTY - A courthouse and the surrounding area have been evacuated after a natural gas line ruptured in Jones County Tuesday afternoon.
According to Jones County Sheriff Danny Heath, the rupture is across from the courthouse at the corner of Market and Jones Streets in Trenton.
Sheriff Heath said a crew was putting in a new sewer line when the natural gas line ruptured. Natural gas can be seen leaking out as of 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The courthouse had to be evacuated. Because the building has a jail in the basement, all inmates had to be taken to Craven County, where they will be housed until the gas line gets fixed, said Sheriff Heath.
A two-block area around the courthouse was also evacuated. The public is advised to avoid the area.
- Updated Reports: Leaders of Oregon standoff acquitted
- Updated LAPD: Suspect in custody over Donald Trump's Hollywood star vandalism
- Trump: 'We should just cancel the election' and declare me the winner
- Kids get swine flu from pigs at state fairs, CDC reports
- Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew