TRENTON, JONES COUNTY - A courthouse and the surrounding area have been evacuated after a natural gas line ruptured in Jones County Tuesday afternoon.
According to Jones County Sheriff Danny Heath, the rupture is across from the courthouse at the corner of Market and Jones Streets in Trenton.
Sheriff Heath said a crew was putting in a new sewer line when the natural gas line ruptured. Natural gas can be seen leaking out as of 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The courthouse had to be evacuated. Because the building has a jail in the basement, all inmates had to be taken to Craven County, where they will be housed until the gas line gets fixed, said Sheriff Heath.
A two-block area around the courthouse was also evacuated. The public is advised to avoid the area.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend