If all kids are gifted, then there is no need to identify gifted students and no need for any special programs for gifted. I strongly believe that all children have distinctive and unique qualities that make each one valuable. This does not mean, however, that all children are gifted. Being identified as gifted simply means that certain children have needs that are different from most others at their age and grade level. All gifted students need programs and services to ensure their growth rather than the loss of their outstanding abilities.
For information about gifted students and programs, I recommend the following websites and publishers:
• Carolyn Coil: http://www.carolyncoil.com/
• National Association for Gifted Children: http://www.nagc.org/
• Hoagie's Gifted Education Page: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/
• Pieces of Learning: http://www.piecesoflearning.com/
• Prufrock Press: http://www.prufrock.com/
• Royal Fireworks Press: http://www.rfwp.com/
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Carolyn Coil.