Both Islamist militants and the Iraqi military went on the offensive Saturday, trying to delivering crippling blows in a conflict that -- at least now -- doesn't appear anywhere close to a conclusion.
Below are some key developments from Iraq over the course of Saturday:
Iraq gets fighter jets from Russia
Five Russian Sukhoi fighter jets arrived Saturday in Iraq, the first of 25 warplanes expected to be delivered under a contract agreed to by Moscow and Baghdad, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement provided to CNN.
The announcement follows an interview given by Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to British broadcaster BBC that ISIS advances may have been avoided if Iraq had proper air cover in the form of fighter jets that Iraq has been trying to secure from the United States for some time.
"I'll be frank and say that we were deluded when we signed the contract" with the United States, al-Maliki told the BBC in an interview this week that was released early Friday.
Iraq has now turned to Russia and Belarus to buy fighter jets, he said. "God willing, within one week, this force will be effective and will destroy the terrorists' dens," he said.
Al-Maliki's statements about the need for air support come as American and Arab diplomats tell CNN that the United States is unlikely to undertake any military strikes against ISIS and its allied fighters before a new government is formed in Iraq.
ISIS attacks military base
Militants believed to be ISIS fighters attacked an Iraqi military base south of Baghdad on Saturday, killing seven soldiers and wounding 29, security officials told CNN.
The ongoing battle began in the early morning hours at a military base in Jurf al-Sakhar, on the outskirts of Hilla, where an infantry brigade is based, they said.
Iraqi security forces have requested air and ground support, the officials say.
The attack at the base near Hilla, about 85 kilometers (about 52 miles) south of Baghdad, follows news earlier this week of an attack in the same area on an Iraqi convoy transporting prisoners.
Report: Shiite villages attacked, ransacked
ISIS fighters dynamited four Shiite place of worship and ransacked homes in two villages bordering the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, Human Rights Watch said in a report released Saturday.
Citing testimony from displaced villagers, the rights group said the attacks on the Shiite Turkmen villages of Guba and Shireekhan took place during a three-day rampage that began on June 23.
ISIS ordered 950 families from the villages, which sit about five kilometers outside of Mosul, to leave, according to nine displaced residents, two local activists and local journalists, according to the rights group.
At least 40 Shiite Turkmen were abducted by ISIS fighters, the villagers said, according to the group.
The displaced villagers claim those who stayed behind in Guba and Shireekhan, all Sunni, told them that ISIS had killed at least some of the abducted men, Human Rights Watch reported. However, none of villagers had seen bodies nor could they provide other information.
"The ISIS rampage is part of a long pattern of attack by armed Sunni extremists on Turkmen and other minorities," said Letta Tayler, senior terrorism and counterterrorism researcher at Human Rights Watch.
"The killing, bombing, and pillaging threatens to displace entire communities, possibly forever."
The villages were initially seized by ISIS on June 10, during their advance on Mosul.
Tal Afar attacks
Human Rights Watch also is reporting that ISIS destroyed seven Shiite places of worship June 25-26 in Tal Afar, 50 kilometers west of Mosul. The report did not say whether these were mosques.
The rights group estimates 90% percent of Tal Afar's ethnic minority Shiite Turkmen population has fled since ISIS seized.