ROCKY MOUNT - Sanderson Farms has given more than $1 million to Nash County to compensate for the costs of trying to bring a chicken processing plant to the county.
The reimbursement was received in a letter from Bob Billingsley, director of development and engineering for Sanderson Farms.
Sanderson Farms officials said in November that they wouldn't to open a large-scale chicken processing plant in Nash County on N.C. 97 just north of the Wilson County line. The company cited legal challenges that could delay the project.
County Commissioner Robbie Davis presented the letter during a county commissioners' retreat Friday at the Golden LEAF Foundation's retreat center in Rocky Mount.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day