FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The Department of Defense announced Monday the death of a soldier from North Carolina who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
Staff Sgt. Girard D. Gass Jr., of Lumber Bridge, N.C., died August 3, in Jalalabad Air Field Hospital, Afghanistan. The DOD says Gass died from a non-combat related incident while on patrol in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan.
Gass was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg.
- Stevenson Automotive owner remembered as animal lover with big heart
- Beach replenishment program ready to begin in Carteret Co.
- ECU senior not slowing down despite breast cancer battle
- Army vet who was sexually assaulted finds healing by running
- New Ceremony marks construction of new Sturgeon City center