FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The Department of Defense announced Monday the death of a soldier from North Carolina who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
Staff Sgt. Girard D. Gass Jr., of Lumber Bridge, N.C., died August 3, in Jalalabad Air Field Hospital, Afghanistan. The DOD says Gass died from a non-combat related incident while on patrol in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan.
Gass was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg.
- Updated Tornado warnings issued for Duplin, Tyrrell, Dare counties
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Seven Springs man dies after fight with detention officers