FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The Department of Defense announced Monday the death of a soldier from North Carolina who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
Staff Sgt. Girard D. Gass Jr., of Lumber Bridge, N.C., died August 3, in Jalalabad Air Field Hospital, Afghanistan. The DOD says Gass died from a non-combat related incident while on patrol in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan.
Gass was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg.
- Updated Trump's special guests for congressional speech hint at a focus on immigration
- Updated Muhammad Ali's son says he was detained at airport because he's Muslim
- Updated Don't expect this Asian tech giant to do a high-profile meeting with Trump
- Updated Deputy al Qaeda leader killed In Syria
- Updated India's economy shrugs off cash crisis to post 7% growth