Murder of 85-year-old Ahoskie woman remains unsolved

Family and friends speak out about the victim

85-year-old woman's murder remains unsolved

AHOSKIE, HERTFORD COUNTY - The murder of an 85-year-old Ahoskie woman remains unsolved. However, community law enforcement, and the community as a whole, refuse to let it stay that way.

85-year-old Ruby Baker was at her home on March 2nd. Police say around one in the morning, they received a call from ADT alarm monitoring service. Dispatch notified the officers on the shift to respond to the call.

When officers arrived, they found Baker inside the home. She was transported to Vidant Roanoke – Chowan Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. An autopsy later showed that she had been shot.

"I just jumped up out of my bed when my husband told me, just straight up out of bed," said Pat Harris, Baker's next-door neighbor.

Harris said Baker was loved by everyone in the neighborhood, and the neighborhood loved her back.

"Everybody loved her, everybody knew her in the neighborhood, expected to see her in her yard," said Harris.

Family members say Baker loved caring for her yard, her dog, her family and neighbors. They say the community she loved proved they felt the same this past weekend. About 500 people showed up to Baker's funeral services. They say even the police officers, now investigating her murder, used to stop by to say hello.

To the person or people responsible, Harris said the following; "I just would like for you to know what you did to the family and the community. She was a very special person and she didn't deserve it."

Baker's murder took place about 15 miles away from the scene where deputies are investigating another murder. That victim was also a woman in her 80's.

Bertie County Sheriff John Holley told NewsChannel 12 that Bessie Mae White was found dead in her home on the 1,600 block of Highway 45, just north of Colerain on Tuesday, March 4th. White was found face down in the den of her home and was the victim of several stab wounds.

White's home was on fire when officials were called out. They say it was unclear if she had died as a result of the stab wounds, or the fire.

Officials say they are working to determine if the murders are connected.

Most Popular