GREENVILLE - A Greenville mother talked with NewsChannel 12 about her son's struggle with drug addiction.
"When I took him back to the airport I said 'You know I don't think you're ready' and um he put his arms around me and he said 'I'm okay, Mom. I'm okay. I'm going to be okay," Diannee Carden Glenn said.
Glenn is talking about the last time she saw her son, Michael, alive. He died from a heroin overdose in April 2012. It's an addiction his mom said he had been battling for 20 years.
"He struggled through those years with his substance abuse. He relapsed and then he would recover and then he would be clean for a very long time and then he would relapse again," Glenn said.
She said it all started at a college party when he experimented with the potentially lethal drug. By the time he moved home after graduation she said he was hooked.
"I knew something wasn't right. So we sat right here and he told me," she said.
After two years of detox and recovery, Michael moved to New york to help others struggling with their own addictions. Eventually though, his own addiction took over.
"He had not used for a long time. We don't know what happened. We don't know why it happened. We won't ever know," she said.
Now, she is using her son's story to help support a new bill that will encourage someone to call 911 in the event of a drug overdose without the threat of legal repercussions. It's called the Good Samaritan Law. The comprehensive overdose prevention bill also gives people better access to naloxone, a medication that can reverse the overdose process.
"It's all about saving a life. They don't deserve to die just because somebody zigged when they should have zagged one time um or 2 times or 5 times doesn't mean that they deserve to die," she said.
Glenn spoke at the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition Summit in Raleigh Tuesday morning. She plans to continue to spread awareness on this topic until she sees some change in legislation.