CRAVEN COUNTY - A kindergarten-aged child missed school and now the child's mother is facing a criminal charge because of it, according to authorities.
Lisa Marie Dickensheets is charged with a school attendance law violation.
Her 6-year-old son attends Bridgeton Elementary School in Craven County.
Parents in North Carolina can be held criminally responsible for children who have ten unexcused absences.
Dichensheets says her son, who's in kindergarten, only has two unexcused absences.
Craven County Schools doesn't discuss individual attendance issues with the media.
Deputies arrested Dickensheets Friday; she is due in court in November.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew