CRAVEN COUNTY - A kindergarten-aged child missed school and now the child's mother is facing a criminal charge because of it, according to authorities.
Lisa Marie Dickensheets is charged with a school attendance law violation.
Her 6-year-old son attends Bridgeton Elementary School in Craven County.
Parents in North Carolina can be held criminally responsible for children who have ten unexcused absences.
Dichensheets says her son, who's in kindergarten, only has two unexcused absences.
Craven County Schools doesn't discuss individual attendance issues with the media.
Deputies arrested Dickensheets Friday; she is due in court in November.
- Updated Big reward offered in local breaking and entering case
- Updated Scientists discover coin-sized night frogs in India
- Updated SpaceX aborts space station docking
- New Doctor says coyote followed him into work
- Divisive rhetoric from leaders like Trump, Duterte threatens human rights, Amnesty says