ONSLOW COUNTY - A moped driver who was trying to make a left turn was killed when a driver tried to pass the moped at the same time.
Johnnie Wayne Jones Jr., of Jacksonville, died in the Friday afternoon crash.
It happened approximately 3:15 p.m. at Highway 53 in Onslow County at Edwards Road.
A Robeson County man, 36-year-old Adam Locklear, was driving the van that hit the moped as Jones was trying to turn onto Edwards Road from the highway, a trooper said.
Locklear will be charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle and improper passing.
Alcohol was not involved.
- Updated Kinston teen receives national award
- Updated Kinston Zumba instructor wins award, gets studio makeover
- Updated Democrats: WH contact with FBI an 'outrageous breach'
- Vidant Beaufort Hospital sets visiting restrictions for children
- Mexican-born NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez in the Daytona 500 spotlight