ONSLOW COUNTY - A moped driver who was trying to make a left turn was killed when a driver tried to pass the moped at the same time.
Johnnie Wayne Jones Jr., of Jacksonville, died in the Friday afternoon crash.
It happened approximately 3:15 p.m. at Highway 53 in Onslow County at Edwards Road.
A Robeson County man, 36-year-old Adam Locklear, was driving the van that hit the moped as Jones was trying to turn onto Edwards Road from the highway, a trooper said.
Locklear will be charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle and improper passing.
Alcohol was not involved.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew