CRAVEN COUNTY - A moped driver hit by an SUV in Craven County was airlifted to a hospital Thursday afternoon.
According to the Highway Patrol, 21-year-old Michael Brown, of New Bern, was driving his moped north on Thurman Road, about 4 miles south of James City. He stopped at the stop sign at the intersection of Thurman Road and Old Cherry Point Road, but continued into Old Cherry Point Road without yielding the right of way to an incoming SUV, troopers said.
The two vehicles then collided at the intersection at about 1:38 p.m. Thursday, according to investigators.
Brown, who was wearing a DOT approved helmet at the time of the accident, was airlifted to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, troopers said. His condition was unknown.
Charges are pending, investigators said.
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- New Cops and Barbers works to bridge gap between GPD, community
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- Chocowinity soldier killed in action to be honored in NASCAR race
- Updated Tornado touches down in Sampson Co., warnings issued elsewhere