WINTERVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Greenville's BMX background has earned it the nickname "Pro Town USA".
BMX superstar Dave Mirra started the trend. He built a park called the Animal House BMX Park in Winterville. Saturday, the Monster Recon Tour is holding a contest at the Animal House.
The Monster Recon Tour makes ten stops around the country. Organizers say the purpose of the event is to give amateur riders a chance to make it big. "Winner from every stop is gonna get flown to my house," said Mike Spinner, Pro BMX rider and host of the event. "We're gonna turn someone pro."
Spinner has a park at his house in Florida, where the winners will compete head to head. Whoever comes out on top will compete in a contest against the top pro BMX riders. "We're giving him a wild card, we're giving this new guy a chance to be a pro," said Spinner.
"I come all the way out here from California to compete in the Recon Tour," said contestant Jake Leiva. "At contests you're against everyone, but you're still riding with your friends and having a good time."
Registration and practice begins Saturday at 10 and runs until noon. The event is scheduled to go from noon to 4.
- Updated Brooklyn's coolest hotels and hottest hangouts
- Updated Trump has 3,643 websites that range from TrumpEmpire.com to TrumpFraud.org
- Updated Snapchat Spectacles now for sale online
- Updated Angelina Jolie opens up about family after split with Brad Pitt
- Trump's promises hit Washington reality in first month