RALEIGH, NC - A man missing with his sister after the terror attacks in Brussels was supposed to be in Raleigh on Wednesday.
Alexander Pinczowski is engaged to Cameron Cain - who is the daughter of Raleigh resident Jim Cain. He's a former U.S. ambassador to Denmark and president of the Carolina Hurricanes.
CLICK HERE to read more
Pinczowski and his sister Sascha were at the Brussels airport on the phone with their mother when one of the bombs went off.
Jim Cain told ABC11 Pinczowski's mother heard a loud noise.
"He and Sascha were in the ticket line to board Delta flight 34 from Brussels to J.F.K. and at that point the phone, Marjan said the phone sounded like it went underwater and then, then went dead. So that's the last contact anyone had with Alex or Sascha," said Cain.
The family remains hopeful that the Pinczowskis are in a hospital somewhere, but Cain said he knows it could be worse news for the family ahead.
Cain said Pinczowski and Cameron met five years ago while the two were taking classes at Duke. They were supposed to meet in New York and then fly to Raleigh Wednesday for a friend's wedding. Instead, the Cain family is flying to Brussels to be with Pinczowski's parents as they search for their son and daughter.
Cain says he is grateful for all the support from his home state.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Amid Zika fears, Florida theme parks offer mosquito repellent
- New Vandemere Waterfront Park reopens five years after Hurricane Irene destruction
- Stand Up Outfitters 5th annual Colonial paddle board race