RALEIGH, N.C. - The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $1.4 million contract to a Mount Airy company to make repairs to the Bonner Bridge.
A statement from the department Friday said Smith-Rowe LLC will make repairs to supplemental supports on the bridge on N.C. 12 over Oregon Inlet on the Outer Banks. The project will begin this fall to avoid impact on summer traffic.
Because of sand erosion around several supports on the northern end of the bridge, NCDOT twice installed steel beams for additional support. The sections above water on nine of those beams have weathered due to exposure, so they are being replaced.
All work will be complete by February 2014.
Periodic lane closures will be in place to allow crews to take away materials and bring in steel.
- New Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte
- Manchester attack: Hunt for possible 2nd bomb under way