A Pitt County mother woke up to the smell of smoke and found her daughter's mattress on fire. All six people inside safely escaped the burning mobile home.
Outside of the mobile in home in Farmville, most of the damage is not visible, but Tamika Taylor said the damage is so bad inside, the home is inhabitable.
"Where do we go from here? I have no idea," Taylor said.
The fire started at about 4:30 a.m. Taylor smelled smoke and followed the smoke to her 14-year-old daughter’s bedroom. Her daughter's mattress was on fire.
"She's still sleeping and there is black smoke everywhere, and I'm watching her bare mattress flaming up and the flames are going up the curtain. My first reaction was to grab her up not knowing if she was alright or not," Taylor said.
Taylor stayed calm and helped all five of her children get up and out of the house. Her daughter, Alexis Taylor, doesn’t know what would of happened if her mom had not woken her up.
"If she wouldn't have come in, I would have died in that room because it was like fire everywhere. I would have never made it,” said Alexis.
Farmville firefighters said the cause of the accidental fire is an electrical short. The outlet that caught fire had no cover on it. Taylor said the flames were so big that firemen had to break her daughter's window in order to put the hose through it to put out the flames.
The Taylors know fire all too well. They had a fire at their previous home in New Jersey a little less than a year ago.
“We had another fire before we came down here and lost everything, had to start all over again and now losing all my stuff over again," said Alexis.
Tamika Taylor is worried about her kids starting school next week. "School clothes, sneakers, school supplies, book bags and everything gone,” she said.
Without a job, Taylor said she doesn't know what she is going to do. For now, Taylor is just thankful that all of them are safe and together.
The American Red Cross has put up the family in hotel in Greenville until Friday.