ONSLOW COUNTY - Authorities in Onslow County Sunday morning found the body of a missing kayaker in the area of Queen Creek, officials said.
The search started Saturday night, when a resident found an unaccompanied kayak between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m.
The father of the kayaker later identified the kayak, and a search began at about 10:15 p.m. Saturday for the missing person.
Crews searched until 3:30 a.m. Sunday, when the search was suspended due to fog.
The search resumed at 6:30 a.m.
Searchers found the body of the kayaker at approximately 10:45 a.m. Sunday.
Swansboro Fire Chief Bob Penrod says the kayaker was a male in his 20s; the man has not been identified as not all of his family has been notified.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend