GREENVILLE - A U.S. Army soldier is in jail in Greenville on a charge of first degree murder.
Montrell Lamar Anderson Mayo was wanted in connection with a murder in Colorado Springs, Colo., according to a news release from Greenville Police.
The suspect is based at Fort Carson, an Army base in Colorado.
Mayo, 24, reportedly is from Greenville and has family in the city.
Police in Colorado Springs contacted Greenville Police Sunday to assist in the case because Colorado investigators believed Mayo might have come to Greenville.
The investigation is in connection with a homicide that occurred in Colorado on Thursday or Friday of this week.
Authorities found the female victim Sunday in a Colorado Springs hotel room, according to media reports from Colorado.
Mayo surrendered to police at the Pitt County Magistrate's office Sunday afternoon.
He is being held without bond.
Detectives from Colorado Springs are expected to arrive in Greenville within the next few days.
- New Campaign manager points to 'undercover Trump vote' in polling gap
- Updated Maternal deaths down globally, up in US
- Updated Flight delayed over bizarre crew member tiff
- Updated Family Dollar store robbed at gunpoint, suspect on the loose
- Updated Closest potentially habitable planet to our solar system found