CHAPEL HILL - A memorial service for former University of North Carolina President William Friday will feature notable state figures, a choir and a brass quintet.
The service is scheduled for Wednesday morning at Memorial Hall on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill. UNC-TV will broadcast the service live.
Speakers include Friday's daughter, broadcast journalist Charlie Rose, Gov. Beverly Perdue and former Gov. Jim Hunt.
Friday died at his home in Chapel Hill last week at age 92. He personified higher education for many in North Carolina. He stepped down after 30 years as president of the University of North Carolina system in 1986.
Friday was hospitalized this summer to get a permanent pacemaker. He had not been ill prior to his death.
- Clinton, Trump hours away from historic debate battle
- Updated Reid signals possible solution to funding stalemate
- Updated Stein escorted off Hofstra University campus
- Bridgegate: Port Authority officials planned to make Fort Lee 'traffic jam as bad as possible'
- Updated Miami Marlins remember star pitcher Jose Fernandez