CHAPEL HILL - A memorial service for former University of North Carolina President William Friday will feature notable state figures, a choir and a brass quintet.
The service is scheduled for Wednesday morning at Memorial Hall on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill. UNC-TV will broadcast the service live.
Speakers include Friday's daughter, broadcast journalist Charlie Rose, Gov. Beverly Perdue and former Gov. Jim Hunt.
Friday died at his home in Chapel Hill last week at age 92. He personified higher education for many in North Carolina. He stepped down after 30 years as president of the University of North Carolina system in 1986.
Friday was hospitalized this summer to get a permanent pacemaker. He had not been ill prior to his death.
- Updated Police monitoring crosswalks and school zones on first day
- Updated Mark Zuckerberg hopes to demo his AI butler next month
- Updated Woman sues Milwaukee Brewers over foul ball incident
- Updated Japan's first passenger jet had a nightmare weekend
- Updated Study: Most adults with depression aren't treated