New Bern, Craven County - A ceremony Wednesday morning in New Bern honored fallen officers in recognition of National Police Memorial Week last week.
New Bern Police Chief, Touissant Summers, recognized two officers who were killed from the New Bern police department.
Sgt. Carl Mayo Jr. was killed in a motorcycle accident Memorial Day weekend, 1960.
Detective Donald Miller was shot and killed during a confrontation with a man in a hospital parking lot on Christmas morning, 2001.
Both men were 33-years-old, and both left wives and children behind.
"These officers, not only here in New Bern, but across the country, paid the ultimate price," Summers said. "We need to remember the price of freedom. These officers paid the ultimate price."
Six officers in North Carolina were killed in the line of duty in 2012.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County