BEAUFORT - A Carteret county medical assistant is arrested on prescription drug charges.
Police arrested Brittney Kate Piner, 29 on Friday.
Beaufort police said Piner tried to use a fake prescription to obtain drugs. An investigation shows that Piner has a history of fraud.
Officials said she used fake prescriptions at least twenty other times at pharmacies in Beaufort, Carteret, and Craven counties. Piner used medical ID numbers of two nurse practitioners for her fake prescriptions.
Piner is charged with 18 counts of obtaining controlled substance by fraud, 21 counts of obtaining controlled substance by false pretense, and 17 counts of trafficking opium.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County