RALEIGH - Cabinet secretaries in North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory's administration are getting salary bumps thanks to latitude from the Legislature.
McCrory's office said secretaries in four of the eight Cabinet departments will receive $128,000 annually and three other departments are getting $135,000. An eighth secretary - Aldona Wos in health and human services - is taking a $1 salary.
Legislators had set secretary salaries in Gov. Beverly Perdue's administration at just under $122,000 but last summer gave her successor the ability to set compensation. Departments were on their own to locate funds for the higher pay.
McCrory spokesman Chris Walker said Thursday the governor wanted modest pay increases to attract talent needed to run large departments.
The Legislature didn't change the governor's salary. It's still $141,265.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County