JONES COUNTY - Maysville Town Commissioners will vote Thursday night on whether to place a moratorium on sweepstakes businesses within the Jones County town.
No such business currently exists in the town.
The purpose of the moratorium would be to proactively establish regulations for sweepstakes businesses before any locate in the town, according to Commissioner Dan Ryan.
"We want to make sure we do it right," Ryan said.
Rules the Commissioners could establish during the moratorium include hours of operation and acceptable locations for the businesses within Maysville.
The moratorium should not last more than six months, Ryan said.
One lifelong resident, J.J. Flowrs, said he'd like to see one of the businesses locate in town.
"It would be a good thing for Maysville," Flowrs said.
The Maysville Town Commissioners meet Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend