ATLANTIC BEACH, CARTERET COUNTY - There's a new life guard in Atlantic Beach, and she's only 9 years old. But city officials are already recognizing her efforts.
Atlantic Beach Mayor Trace Cooper, Fire Chief Adam Snyder, and city council members presented a life ring Friday afternoon to 9-year-old Kasey McCoury. The young girl and her family have recently finished building a lifeguard tower outside their home. Kasey wanted the tower in order to watch over her 6-year-old sister, Kate, said their father, Bryan McCoury.
According to Bryan, the idea came about when Kasey had just finished junior lifeguard training organized by the Atlantic Beach Fire Department. The week-long program taught her about water rescues and how to perform CPR.
Kasey wanted to put her new knowledge to good use, so the 9-year-old asked her family to build the lifeguard tower. Bryan said he had permission to use lumber from a nearby construction site. About a week-and-a-half later, on Thursday, the tower was completed.
Bryan said his design is based off the actual lifeguard tower at Atlantic Beach.
City officials said when they heard about the project, they had to recognize the little lifeguard's passion. On Friday afternoon, they presented Kasey with a life ring that reads, "McCoury Est. 2013."
All photos are courtesy of Bryan McCoury.
- Defenseless internet 'paying the price' for ignoring security
- Updated Canadian nurse accused of killing 8 nursing home residents
- Updated Craven County Schools among those recognized for top graduation rate honors
- 'No kids with special needs?' Mom fights talent scout who rejected son
- Local McDonald's locations to raise money for employees hit by Hurricane Matthew