CRAVEN COUNTY - NewsChannel 12's camera rolled as a massive alligator made its way out of a pond in the Croatan National Forest.
Mike Hardison, a retired deputy who hunts in the forest, said the gator has been coming back to the same Craven County pond annually for the past five years. Hardison estimated the reptile to be at least 400 pounds when he showed the animal to NewsChannel 12 Wednesday morning.
NewsChannel 12's photographer said the alligator appeared to be at least 8 feet long.
Hardison does not want to give out the exact location of the animal, in order to protect it. He said the pond that the gator frequents in was dug by the Forest Service as a way to access water during wildfires.
- HAPPENING TODAY: New Bern Christmas Parade starts at 3 p.m.
- One suspect arrested after three separate Pitt County break-ins
- Christmas float catches fire after 'Grinch' flicks cigarette
- Longtime Hillary Clinton staffer mulls lieutenant governor run in Virginia
- Police: Student stabs, kills University of Southern California professor