CRAVEN COUNTY - NewsChannel 12's camera rolled as a massive alligator made its way out of a pond in the Croatan National Forest.
Mike Hardison, a retired deputy who hunts in the forest, said the gator has been coming back to the same Craven County pond annually for the past five years. Hardison estimated the reptile to be at least 400 pounds when he showed the animal to NewsChannel 12 Wednesday morning.
NewsChannel 12's photographer said the alligator appeared to be at least 8 feet long.
Hardison does not want to give out the exact location of the animal, in order to protect it. He said the pond that the gator frequents in was dug by the Forest Service as a way to access water during wildfires.
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Updated Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.
- Updated OPEC agrees to cut production; oil prices surge
- Updated Eric Trump praises dad's 'courage' in not bringing up Bill Clinton's infidelities
- Updated Michelle Obama goes off on Donald Trump