CRAVEN COUNTY - NewsChannel 12's camera rolled as a massive alligator made its way out of a pond in the Croatan National Forest.
Mike Hardison, a retired deputy who hunts in the forest, said the gator has been coming back to the same Craven County pond annually for the past five years. Hardison estimated the reptile to be at least 400 pounds when he showed the animal to NewsChannel 12 Wednesday morning.
NewsChannel 12's photographer said the alligator appeared to be at least 8 feet long.
Hardison does not want to give out the exact location of the animal, in order to protect it. He said the pond that the gator frequents in was dug by the Forest Service as a way to access water during wildfires.
- Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response