JAMESVILLE, MARTIN COUNTY - A man has been sentenced to prison for producing and collecting child pornography in Martin County.
Meredith Cook, 47, will spend 45 years in prison, followed by a lifetime of supervised release and a fine of $50,000, U.S. Attorney Thomas G. Walker announced Wednesday.
According to Walker, Cook traded child pornography over a peer-to-peer network run by child pornography traffickers. Investigators said they traced Cook's account to Jamesville, which lead to a search in November 2011.
Investigators said they discovered that Cook had collected hundreds of thousands of child pornography images and videos. Cook had also recorded his own sexual abuse of several children and had shared the images over the internet, according to Walker.
The victims were all younger than 7 years of age, Walker added.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend