Martin County Deputy Charged With DWI

Martin County Deputy Wreck

MARTIN COUNTY - After getting into a wreck, an off-duty Martin County Sheriff's Deputy faces a drunken-driving charge and is now on paid leave pending an investigation.

Highway Patrol officials said Christopher Earl Moore, from Williamston, was pinned in his car for over an hour and had to be taken out by the jaws of life after he crashed his truck.

This happened 6 p.m. Tuesday on Jones Road, off U.S. Hwy 64. That's just east of Williamston.

Troopers said the Ford F-350 veered off the road to the right. Moore then over-corrected and then went off the road to the left hit a tree, then went airborne 30-40 feet and then smacked into another tree.

Queracus Rodgers said he thought it was thunder he heard outside his home. However, he was surprised to find out it was a truck that had crashed across the street.

"When I came around the curve my mother and them had just gotten home.  I walked down there and he was basically pinned by his ankle inside the truck. There was smoke everywhere," he said.

Rodgers said he had no idea the man behind the wheel was a deputy.

"He was in a bad position," Rodgers said.

Gregory Harrell was in his garden when he heard the crash. He was the first person to rush over and check on Moore.

"He [wasn't] unconscious. He was conscious so I checked the truck to make sure he wasn't catching on fire or anything. I talked to him the whole time," he said.

The deputy was pinned in the truck for an hour but Harrell said he didn't leave his side.

"I'm just the type of person that if anyone needs help it could have been me or my wife in the same situation. I'm just glad I was there to help," Harrell said.

When crews arrived they had to use an ax to get him out of the truck.

After they got him out, Moore was flown by helicopter to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.

Troopers said he had non life-threatening injuries but had to have surgery overnight. He is now in fair condition.

Most Popular