ONSLOW COUNTY - A Marine said he was driving his car when he noticed smoke inside the cabin. He got out minutes before the car burst into flames.
Fire officials said it happened shortly before one p.m. Monday on Burgaw Highway, near the intersection of Gurganus Road. That's in the Onslow County portion of Maple Hill.
Firefighter David Hill, with the Haws Run Volunteer Fire Department, said the vehicle was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Hill said the flames were so high that the fire spread to the nearby woods.
Investigators said it's difficult to pinpoint a cause.
"It could be a number of things," Hill said. "It's hard to say with a vehicle fire, especially with that much damage. It could be electrical, it could be something with the motor gone wrong."
The Marine said he's grateful that no one was injured.
- New Greenville woman suing Anheuser-Busch for unauthorized use of her photo
- Updated US troops wounded on the front lines in Mosul
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill