ONSLOW COUNTY - A Marine said he was driving his car when he noticed smoke inside the cabin. He got out minutes before the car burst into flames.
Fire officials said it happened shortly before one p.m. Monday on Burgaw Highway, near the intersection of Gurganus Road. That's in the Onslow County portion of Maple Hill.
Firefighter David Hill, with the Haws Run Volunteer Fire Department, said the vehicle was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Hill said the flames were so high that the fire spread to the nearby woods.
Investigators said it's difficult to pinpoint a cause.
"It could be a number of things," Hill said. "It's hard to say with a vehicle fire, especially with that much damage. It could be electrical, it could be something with the motor gone wrong."
The Marine said he's grateful that no one was injured.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- New Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend