HUBERT, ONSLOW COUNTY - A Camp Lejeune Marine, who was ejected from his motorcycle a day after his birthday, is recovering at a hospital in Wilmington, according to the Highway Patrol.
LCpl. Joseph Peter Durigon had just celebrated his 22nd birthday on Wednesday and was heading to a friend's house Thursday morning, when he flipped his motorcycle several times at a sharp curve, said Trooper M.T. Bryan. The wreck happened at about 6 a.m. at the intersection of Buckhead Rd. and Rack Rd. in Hubert.
Durigon was ejected from his motorcycle and his helmet came off during the accident, Trooper M.T. Bryan said. Speed may had been a factor.
A friend with Durigon said a car came into their lane and hit Durigon's motorcycle.
Durigon was airlifted the New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington. According to Trooper Bryan, the victim suffered a few broken bones and a head injury, but is expected to make a full recovery.
No charges had been filed in the wreck.
Durigon is with the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines at Camp Lejeune.
- New New Bern Police arrest man in early-morning shooting
- New Report of rabies reported in Cape Carteret
- Updated White House effort to justify travel ban causes growing concern for some intelligence officials
- New Response to drug activity leads to arrest
- Caught on video: Plane's landing gear collapses in Amsterdam