DARE COUNTY - Dare County officials have ordered a mandatory evacuation for residents and visitors on Hatteras Island as Tropical Storm Arthur draws closer to the North Carolina coast.
The order takes effect at 5 a.m. Thursday. After that, access to Hatteras Island is prohibited.
According to the order issued Wednesday, all Hatteras Island residents and visitors are advised to evacuate as expediently as possible during the day Thursday.
A state of emergency has been issued for Dare County, with the only restriction being the Hatteras Island evacuation.
People evacuating to the north are advised by county officials to travel westbound on U.S. 64 to Interstate 95. Evacuating to the west of Dare County will help avoid traffic backups and congestion expected from traveling northbound through the Hampton Roads portion of Virginia.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew